Monday, June 20, 2011

June 20th

Hello all! Well first, thank you all sooooo much for the birthday wishes and packages. Yes, I got your package mom. As well as one from Sarah and Theresa. You are the best! I got them the day before my birthday and wanted to open them right away but Hna Nelson made me wait till my birthday. So I woke up and opened them right away! Everything was perfect and fits perfect. Thank you soo much! Did I ever tell you that I wanted a step-mile counter? Cause I have wanted one for a long time. I used it yesterday and I took 11,500 steps and walked 8 miles. And that was yesterday! We were sitting in church for 3 hours, then we had appointments literally all day and were just sitting in houses. I would love to see what it is on a normal day. Ill let you know.

But yes mom, dont you worry, Hna Nelson told absolutely everyone that it was my birthday. So we would be walking down the street and random people would be saying "happy birthday!" or "where{s my cake?" And apparently it is tradition here to give the birthday girl a hug on her birthday. So everyone was coming up and giving me hugs. Cute! And it just so happens that one of our friends just happens to be a cake maker. So she made me my favorite cake and decorated it and everything. It was delish! Then my zone got me a cake and a piƱata. It was precious. THEN, my favorite part. So last week, we set a goal with Samuel and a few other investigators that if they read the book of mormon every day for 10 minutes for a week, we would make pizza with them. And it just so happens that we made the night that we were gonna make pizza my birthday! So we went over there to make pizza with them and they decorated the house and had birthday songs playing and everyone was treating me like a queen. It was so cute. And the best part was that they are my investigators! We had a blast. And they wrote me notes that said "thank you for teaching me about God, you are a great example" haha I love them.

Anyways, enough about me. We have two baptisms for this Saturday so I am very excited about that. Samuels twin brother Jose is getting baptised and is very excited. We are also teaching their dad but he is not so eager to jump in the water. But he is not completely close minded either. We went to go pick Samuel up for church on Sunday like 45 minutes early and he was all ready. And we have no idea how he got ahold of them but he was wearing black pants, and a white shirt and a tie. He felt like a million bucks. He reads the Book of Mormon for like an hour every day and is already at the end of Alma. And he has I swear half of the hymns memorized and sings sooooo loud. Its great.

Our other baptism is Kimberly. You know, the one that was sooo hard to get because her mom thought she needed more time? Well that one is kind of iffy because we passed by with her this week to teach and her mom answered the door bawling because she says her husband doesnt love her and she wants to leave him and such. Oh dear. Something else sad that we saw this week was that we went to visit one of the ward members and we asked her how she was and she just broke down and started bawling. She just told us about how her husband lost his job and cant find more work and how they literally dont have any money. And her kids keep on asking her for bread and she cant give them anything. She said she literally has nothing to her name,and she cant do anything. She said she cant clean because she doenst have a broom or anything. She cant wash clothes because she doesnt have soap. She cant eat cause they dont have food. It was completely heart breaking. And even worse because I couldnt do anything to help her. We are going to talk to the Bishop though to see if the church can help her out. It is so interesting being a missionary. And going into random peoples houses and them confiding in you completely. It is something that would only happen as a missionary. Such a unique experience.

In answer to your questions, yes, I am still traveling to different zones to talk about health. We usually go every Thursday. Its fun because I get to see a bunch of different areas but at the same time, I dont like it because I have to chew people out a little bit for not taking care of themselves and getting parasites. They are usually very nice and respectful though. The doctor asked me to PLEASE not help missionaries that are just sick with a cold or flu. He said that half the reason that they are on a mission is to help them be prepared for the big world. So he told me to start telling them to figure it out and such it up. Uh oh....We{ll see how that goes.

Well I gotta go, sorry if I bored you. But I love you al tons and tons! Hopefully all the pictures that I sent you will make up for the lack of excitement in my letters. Have a great week!! Until next Monday...


Samuel all ready for church.

Our friend Fide who made me my FAVORITE cake (tres leches). She may or may not have written Felicidades, Alton. Close...

Making pizza on my bday

More of the bday party


No comments:

Post a Comment